So, basically all of my childhood and teenage friends have now graduated from university this year. Some still have a few years to go but in general they have all now finished and are ready to join the "grown-up" world of jobs, mortgages and families.
I skipped those years in university and went straight to the jobs, mortgages and families part (albeit an animal rather than human family) and recently I have been questioning whether maybe going to university would have been a better decision...
They have been to university. I haven't.
I know that this questioning has come from the realisation that now all of my friends are much more highly qualified than me in an educational sense and I almost feel a bit left behind. They will now be able to become doctors, nurses, writers, teachers ... the list goes on.
Mind you, I haven't sat on my bum for these three years:
- I have been to college to get a qualification in supporting children in schools
- I have worked the whole time in a few different primary schools (the most recent for two and a half of those three years) with children with special educational needs
- I have volunteered for a charity that led me to supporting a family with incredible quadruplets
- I have worked for a big supermarket and have also worked in a post office
- I have seen a lot of Europe
- I have made friends that will hopefully be for life
- I have two cats
- I have a puppy
- I did have two dwarf hampsters (who are sadly no longer with us, RIP Little My and Mymble)
- I have bought a house that I am now in the process of renovating
- I have been to Paris and while there I got engaged
- I have been planning my wedding
- I have met a wonderful set of people who I will be able to call my in-laws very soon.
If those things aren't valuable then I don't know what is.
In reality I know I made the decision not to go for many reasons and have since then questioned it a few times but ultimately decided that really it isn't for me. I went through the whole process of applying and interviewing for university a year after all of my classmates and at the very last minute hit 'decline' on my place in Strandmillis (a teacher training college here in Belfast). People told me I was mad, and maybe I was, but strangely I don't regret my decision.
I honestly just don't think that university is for me right now. Maybe in the future I will decide to give it a go but it is such a huge decision to make and I am just not ready for it now.
Besides, I haven't even got a clue what I want to do with my life!